Thursday, July 17, 2008

Good times

Went to the MLB All Star Game, the last one ever to take place in Yankee Stadium. Amazing fanfare, great to see all the hall of famers out there. The game itself was a bit of a dud for the first ten long innings, after which point, exhausted from the day, we finally left. Good thing we did, because Tommy Lasorda and Wade Boggs were drinking at our hotel bar. Got to meet them briefly, although they were both well in their cups at that hour.

Other noteworthies encountered that day: Jim Bouton, Gaylord Perry, George Foster, Mitch Williams, Ferguson Jenkins. And one former coach of the Cleveland Cavs (I forgot his name because I'm not a big basketball fan. Might have been Mike Fratello)

One thing I have to mention is that while I understand Yankee Stadium has an incomparable amount of baseball history in it, I'm really ok with them getting into a better park. Other than those white gable things tacked to the scoreboard and monument park, there's no distinguishing characteristics to that place. It certainly doesn't have the charm and historic feel that Wrigley Field does. It's a ballpark and it's old and a lot of great baseball happened there, but you're very hard pressed to really visualize anything like that when you're there.

Got a Wii for my birfday, thanks to Caitlin for somehow finding one. First on the list to buy is a second controller, then Smash Brothers. Then Mario Kart. Then Mario Galaxy. Then Okami. Then Metroid Prime: Corruption. Then Star Wars Lightsaber battles. Then all the other Wii games I'm forgetting about because there are too many.

Camping was amazing as always at Letchworth. I have to go again, and I have to go for more than one night.

No comments: