Monday, April 13, 2009

I live

You may have heard about Blizzard’s “Creative Writing” contest, which ended yesterday. I decided to take a stab at it, not because I wanted the outwardly offered prizes, but because I thought it was their way of scouting talent for a writing position they have available over there.

I was right. When I submitted my story, which I had to reformat several times to fit the 100k max file submission size, there was a check box that read “I am interested in professional writing”. Click!

I’ve spent a good amount of time and energy on this thing. Maybe too much. The home stretch ‘finishing touches’ prior to submission amounted to about 15-17 solid hours of writing between Friday night and Sunday morning, all crammed into the spaces between repeated and lengthy Easter festivities. I also burned up the last free uses of Word that came with my computer. I’m now exiled to MS Works (the coach class of word processing programs) unless someone knows a way I can get a Windows Product Key without paying more than the $20-30 it’s really worth.

The various families and future families-in-law I’ve been seeing all weekend asked me what I’d been up to lately. My mind was –is– still consumed by the project, which made answering that question awkward, to say the least.

I keep re-reading my submission and catching stupid little errors. Will it be these amateur mistakes that cause the Great Pumpkin to pass me by? Forgot a pronoun here, left some ugly syntax there. The red, blue and green squiggles are still showing up. They only asked for my address and email… don’t they want to call me? Crap, I forgot to put my info on the header… what if there’s a mix up? And so on.

As a reward for completing the story (and not before then!) I promised myself I’d get some new DS fodder. But what to get! Age of Mythologies? Civilization DS? GTA: Chinatown Wars? Fire Emblem? I am once again paralyzed by choice.

5 comments:

goose said...

professor layton and the curious village, if you don't already have it...

Greg said...

Got it, played it, loved it, can't wait for the next one, which is apparently being translated now for a Q4 release. Great game, wasn't it?

Critical thinking is the key.

goose said...

YES! Tried Castlevania Order of Ecclesia?

Greg said...

No. I have portrait of ruin and it sucked enougb to turn me off to the series for a little while.

goose said...

wow, surprising, I enjoyed portrait of ruin quite a bit. Order of eccesia is pretty good. Also I saw that there is a version of Overlord coming out for the DS soon. That could be interesting...