Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sat down for a drink in my father's favorite chair

Earlier this week I was allowed into the Stereo Advantage showroom to test a Nintendo Wii on a few different flat panel HD TV's to see which, if any, made the damn thing look acceptable.

The first thing I tested was the Panasonic TC-P42S1 Plasma TV. AV gurus seem to favor plasma and this was cheap 1080p with a higher contrast ratio (2,000,000:1) and refresh rate (600hz) than any LCD. What could possibly be the catch? Turns out, power consumption is really it. It costs about 2.5 times as much energy to use a plasma than an LCD.

On the Wii: looked better than the Philips I bought earlier, that's for sure. Recognized the signal well, still had lots of jagged edges, but this was mitigated by the depth of color.

Standard Def: Again, better than the Philips, but still wasn't great.

So, unconvinced this was the saving grace, I asked about an LG LCD a friend pointed out to me, which at the time was on sale at Best Buy for $300 off. Stereo Advantage doesn't carry LG so the technician couldn't show me that specific model (42LH40), but he did plug into a Toshiba LCD with identical specs. I was impressed with the punchy, bright display.

On the Wii: it wouldn't give us 16:9 aspect ratio, but even crammed into 4:3, which normally smoothes out jagged lines by making them smaller, it still didn't look as nice as the plasma.

Standard Def: Not bad. Again, still gobbledy gook, but Toshiba did a nice job.

My final choice was the plasma. Stereo Advantage threw in too many goodies and the price was where I wanted to be. A later trip to Best Buy resulted in an attempted upsell to a Samsung Series 7 LCD, which, good though it was, didn't hold up to the Panasonic Plasma it was mounted next to. And that plasma was lower end than the one I bough. If the expensive, high end Samsung was better than the LG, but still worse than a 720p plasma, the choice to me was clear.

As for standard def help... we're in a transitionary period right now. Standard Def will slowly go away, or become an alternative, within the next few years. All HDTV's make HDTV look good; it's what they do. All the unsightliness of standard def is going to be magnified on any HDTV right now, because none of them will do us the simple favor of drawing CRT-Style scan lines across standard def to hide that shit. Some do an ok job, some don't even try. Until a set is made with this simple enough feature, we all get to suffer. There is no silver bullet for this. Trust me, I've looked under every corner for the right answer. Fortunately, most stations are offered in HD, except USA and Comedy Central, who both suck for that. So the suffering is limited.

As for LCD vs Plasma, again, no clear choice. What you see and like is what you should buy.

Sorry to any Ned's Atomic Dustbin fans who were hoping for something else from this post. I like my references.

2 comments:

Beers said...

This Ned's Atomic Dustbin Fan feels cheated.

Greg said...

If looks could kill...