Friday, March 7, 2008

There must be a balance

I seem to be caught in a cosmic duel between the forces of yin and yang. I've been batted about recently, the plaything of karmic currents beyond my comprehension. Luck is a fickle thing, and recent events in my life have made this quite clear.

I already know what you're thinking: "what?"

Here's what:
On Wednesday I got a long desired promotion to a job that is more fulfilling than the one I've been languishing under for several years. (Hooray!)

On Thursday night, I was stopped by an over-aggressive policeman who spoke to me as though I was a drug lord/rapist, and ticketed me for "blowing through" a stop sign on my short drive home from watching a movie at a friend's house. It is my opinion that I came to a complete stop. (boo)

On Friday, arrangements were finalized for me and a guest of my choice to travel to Kauai for free to attend business meetings there for nearly a full week. (Hoo-f'ing-ray!)

However, these meetings run over St Patricks Day weekend, the one time a Buffalonian genuinely wants to be in his home town. (minor boo. I feel bad even complaining about this, but as I've said, St Patricks Day is one thing Buffalo truly does properly and I will miss being among friends on the 16th and 17th)

I get a blackberry with my new job, and for a nominal fee, I can use it as my personal phone with unlimited minutes. (Hooray!)

5 minutes before quitting time, I happened to peak at the Late Night Schedule calendar at work and learned with horror that I was scheduled to work until 8pm tonight. This resulted in what will be, when it is over, an 11 and a half hour work day. (Boo)

And finally, I am forced to back out from what is surely going to be a fun time this weekend due to a step-relative's birthday party. (BOO)

I know that the Hooray's far outweigh the Boos here. I know, and I will shut the hell up, goddamn it as soon as you hear me out. Considering this see-saw series of events, I can't help but wonder if and how the boos will achieve parity with the hoorays. It's kind of freaking me out, man.

BufBlo:
One thing I keep on my person at almost all times is my DS. While this used to be purely for impromptu gaming opportunities in just about any situation, it is now also because I'm afraid to leave it at my apartment. Just the same, if you ever see me out and ask me if I want to play, I will say yes, produce the gadget, and begin booting it up before you're even really sure you actually want to play.

1 comment:

GabsOSteel said...

Congrats on the promotion and trip and phone and having less boo's than hurray's!